Twice a year my church has a yard and bake sale. When I was younger one of my cousins would make Fruit Cocktail Cupcakes for the bake sale. My grandparents would give me a few dollars to buy whatever I wanted, and I would always buy two or three of these cupcakes they’re delicious! Normally baked goods require chocolate for me to rave about them, but these cupcakes are absolutely fantastic, very moist and full of flavor, plus they’re super, super, simple to make.
Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, eggs, and a can of fruit cocktail by hand
Pour them into lined cupcake pans, and place them in the oven to bake.
Let the cupcakes cool.
For the coconut icing combine butter, sugar, flour, and milk in a pan on the stove. Cook the mixture until it boils, and simmer for ten minutes.
Then remove it from the heat, stir in vanilla, and coconut, and let it cool.
Finally, spread the icing over the cupcakes.
Fruit Cocktail Cupcakes with Coconut Icing
Yields: 24 cupcakes
2 cups flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
16 oz can fruit cocktail (do not drain)
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
For the Cake
– Preheat oven to 350° F
– Combine all ingredients by hand in a large bowl
– Scoop batter into lined cupcake pans
– Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes
For the Icing
– Combine butter, sugar, flour, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil
– Simmer for 10 minutes, mixture will darken slightly and thicken
– Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut
– Allow icing to cool and spread on cooled cupcakes