Last week I went to visit my boyfriend in Illinois (I realize normally you go somewhere warm for spring break, but surprisingly enough my trip to the mid-west meant I missed a DC snow storm). I flew into O’Hare and he took me out to a surprise dinner in Chicago. We ended up at D’Noche (because he knows my never ending love for Mexican food). The restaurant had all kinds of delicious Latin American food, it was the perfect meal!
We started things out with a sangria blanca (because white wine sangria is one of my favorite things, and who doesn’t need a drink after a flight?) and guacamole (because you don’t need a reason for guacamole).
We also ordered the trio de empanadas (very reminiscent of my time in Argentina). An order came with a beef, shrimp, and chicken empanada along with a variety of different sauces (one of them being chimichurri, which is the best I’ve had since getting back from Argentina) that went well with all of the empanadas and the guacamole as well.
For dinner I got chiles rellenos (pobalano peppers stuffed with cheese, and covered in salsa Ranchera) which came with beans and rice. The cheese was melty and rich and delicious and the side orders were great too.
Luke opted for the tacos de camaron (shrimp tacos) with green rice which he let me try (because I would have stolen some anyway…) and they were quite yummy as well, the goat cheese went surprisingly well with the shrimp (I never really thought of putting shrimp and cheese together, but then again cheese goes with pretty much everything).
It was an absolutely delicious start to a wonderful trip! I’ll be telling you all about my visit to Urbabna-Champaign in an upcoming post, so keep your eyes open for it!
I’m sitting in bed on this lovely snow day (I like the snow, but in all honesty I am soooo ready for warm weather) and I can’t believe I’m writing a review of February already (yeah, I know I say that pretty much every month, but time has been flying lately). February may be a short month but it was jam packed with great activities and lots of delicious food! Picking out just ten recipes to share with you all was kind of a challenge this month, I hope you enjoy perusing them as much as I enjoyed picking them out!
My Top 3 Most Viewed Posts of the Month:
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies – One of my favorite cookies, you’ll love them too 🙂
- Chili and Cornbread – A perfect hearty meal for cold snowy weather like this!
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Greek Yogurt-Sour Cream Dipping Sauce – Probably my most popular recipe, you should absolutely try it for yourself.
My Top 10 Favorite Links of the Month:
- It’s Girl Scout Cookie season, and while I have no problem eating a box of Samoas, this No Bake Samoa Cheesecake (From Life, Love & Sugar) looks like a great way to make a new dessert out of something already delicious!
From Life, Love & Sugar
- If you know me at all (or read my blog at all) it’s no secret that I absolutely love Mexican food, and these Cheesy Baked Chicken Taquitos (from Anna Shortcakes) will be making an appearance at my dinner table!
From Anna Shortcakes
- If you know anything about me, you also know I love chocolate, and this Chocolate Truffle Crème Brûlée (from Love and Olive Oil) looks like pure chocolatey goodness!
From Love and Olive Oil
- This Quinoa with Roasted Red Peppers and Tomatoes (From BB a la Carte) looks like a delicious and healthy dinner that’s full of flavor!
From BB a la Carte
- Coffee cake is always a delicious taste treat and this Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (From the Thankful Heart) version sounds incredibly tangy and sweet!
From The Thankful Heart
- This recipe screams comfort food to the extreme: Chicken and Biscuit Pockets (From Ranting Chef).
From Ranting Chef
- Banana and peanut butter is one of my favorite flavor combinations (if you add chocolate then you have the trifecta) and this Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting (From Two Peas and Their Pod) pairs them both perfectly!
From Two Peas and Their Pod
- Smoky Bacon Mac and Cheese (From Crumb Blog) seems like an amazing and delicious twist on my favorite food ever, I mean, adding bacon can only make things better, right?
From Crumb Blog
- I love strawberries and I love caprese, this recipe for Strawberry Caprese Crostini (Put On Your Cake Pants) combines them on bread, I’m not sure what could be better!
From Put On Your Cake Pants
- This final recipe for Pina Colada Sorbet (From Turmeric n Spice) is me hoping that it warms up soon and I can enjoy Pina Coladas by the pool (but I have a feeling that will be wishful thinking for a while longer).
From Turmeric n Spice
Feel free to share any recipes you’re loving this month!